Friday, January 18, 2013

A Case for Mixing Metals


Fashion has always been guided by a certain etiquette - you know, the 'don't wear white after Labor Day' adage, or the 'black + brown don't mix' decree.  While a lot of these directions are now being disavowed in favor of sartorial experimentation, I've always found it a bit hard to let go of my distaste for mixing metals.  I get a bit frenzied about it, truth be told - I don't like wearing a bag with silver accents, for example, if I'm wearing a gold statement ring.  I've been trying lately to be more adventurous with metal mixing, combining brass and rose gold, silver and copper.  I'm able to ease into the look with pieces like these that use more than 1 metal; it's not so difficult to choose a purse with gold hardware and add on some silver bangles if you have a necklace that incorporates both tones (I just couldn't pass up the Sachin + Babi treasure, heavily discounted on Ideeli a few months ago, for that very reason).

After all, isn't the fun of fashion breaking all the rules?






1. Beverly Necklace, Sachin + Babi;
2. Mirage Necklace, ShopBop; 3. Mixed Metal Fringe Necklace, Piperlime;
4. Bijou Cuff, Gemma Redux New York;
5. 1960 Two-Tone Engraved Stud Earrings, The Trend Boutique; 6. Irregular Stone Rings, TopShop.

No comments:

Post a Comment