Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Movies We Love - Drinking Buddies


 
Olivia Wilde has been on my radar ever since I saw her in Butter, a dark comedy about the sordid world of butter carving.  Already a hugely popular actress, I had somehow never seen her in anything before.  And she was just hilarious.  A few disarmingly candid interviews later, and I was decidedly charmed - and very eager to see her latest, Drinking Buddies.
 
The film is largely improvised, the director only providing a general outline of each scene.  Shot predominantly in a brewery, the action is centered around the close friendship between co-workers Kate (Olivia Wilde) and Luke (Jake Johnson).  Seemingly made for each other, they're both in other relationships.  After the two couples spend a weekend away together, however, things start to get complicated.
 
As with most of the movies I end up falling for, I can't explain much more without giving away the goods.  But I love the choices made by the actors in unraveling this tale.  It would be so easy to jump to conclusions about what happens, but normal conventions of love triangles (squares?) aren't at play here; the film is so much more real than that, which I think is largely because everyone improvises.  Even costume selection, which was also left up to each performer, plays a part in the story.  Luke's girlfriend, Jill (Anna Kendrick), wears a never-ending array of flirty dresses I kept wanting to steal for myself.  Kate, though, is a total guys girl - in one scene, her and another male co-worker realize they're even wearing the same pair of pants.  I found the fashion choices really interesting in how they reveal a bit about each character.  While Anna plays Jill as silly and fun, still able to hold her own in a group of guys, she is, at heart, 'traditional'.  She wants to get married.  She's a huge nurturer.  And her outfits reflect that, as she's always found in an ultra-feminine frock.
 
The acting is phenomenal; Olivia Wilde, yet again, is so, so funny, and Jake Johnson, who I love on New Girl, is as sweet and sarcastic as ever.  And although the final moments of the film leave something to the imagination, I think there is an ending hinted at - one that I thought was really appropriate, a perfect end to this unpredictable, immensely enjoyable ride.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment