Friday, August 23, 2013

DIY Caviar Nails


Shortly after becoming smitten with Ciaté's Caviar Nails, and balking at the $25 price tag, I set out to DIY this fun look. When I stumbled on Martha Stewart's 12-Pack of glass microbeads available on Amazon for under $15, and prime-eligible to boot, I quickly snatched the package up and used last weekend as a testing ground for my own version of candy-coated nail fun.

 
 
I chose to mix 5 colors (kunzite, blue topaz, feldspar, white gold, and clear) over Essie's "No Place Like Chrome." I combined all of the microbeads in a little bowl and got a tiny espresso spoon to use for ladeling, and set out a tray to catch any beads that fell off during the sprinkling process (and oh, many fall off). After a base coat and a single coat of the polish I quickly set off to applying a top coat and layering the beads on after each application.
 


 
My nails looked great for the first hour, but a little while later my nighttime routine (read: flossing!) resulted in many a dislodged microbead. For each bead that fell off I was left with a tiny pockmark in my silver polish, but I realized this was avoidable and wouldn't even be that big of a deal if I had let the silver coat dry completely before applying the beads. I'll certainly try this technique next time, because the look is too fun and simple to give up on. Even if it only lasts for three days, I deem it worthwhile. Stay tuned for attempt number two, and an update on how long this look lasts.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment