Monday, August 5, 2013

What We're Buying - The Transitional Blazer


New York has been a mess of sloppy heat, autumnal breezes in July, thunderstorms and chilly nights this summer. Sure, this is New York and we’re close enough to New England to realize that you can wait 15 minutes and the weather may change, but dressing for this kind of climate is where it really gets challenging. A real-feel of 103 degrees quickly transitions to a  110 degree platform and a frigid subway ride of 65. You can leave your house expecting 82 to feel warm, only to find that 82 with a grey sky overhead and an hourly drizzle does not feel like any kind of 82 you’re used to. Especially not when you’re out later that same evening and feel downright cold on your trek to the train that, please God, will take you home to your blanket and bed as quickly as possible.

The blazer has been my layer of choice this summer for all of the situations enumerated above. I used to rely on a big scarf, but my old standby just doesn’t feel adequate for the crazy whiplashes my body has had to adjust to this year. I need something with sleeves, thank you, and preferably something that I can wear into fall’s equally unreliable weather. I’ve added one to my (sparse) collection this summer, but I hope to add a few more as the summer days dwindle and they go on sale. As someone who works in a corporate environment I can’t quite imagine why I didn’t think of this before, but at least I’m on board now!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment