Monday, April 29, 2013

Put to the Test - Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24Hr Shadow




I'm always on the hunt for great beauty buys that, above all, are simple to use (yes, still woefully lacking in makeup application skills).  When I happened upon a review of Maybelline's Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24 Hr Shadow in this month's InStyle, I knew I had to test it out.

Purported to be the longest lasting drugstore eyeshadow, the hyper-pigmented gel cream shadow comes in 9 bold shades and 5 shimmery, metallic hues.

Unbeknownst to me, Fortune had already tried using the product a few months ago in 'Audacious Asphalt,' and found the smoky grey to be sorely lacking.  She put it on with a brush at the time, as the website indicates the best results occur when using a synthetic applicator.  The color didn't stay on, and the pot sat unused in her makeup bag.

I picked up 'Bad to the Bronze,' a deep, taupe metallic, from my local drugstore hoping to fare better.  Fortune, upon hearing of my experiment, wanted to give it another go, and opted for 'Inked in Pink,' a warm, rosy metallic.

Being the lazy beauty blogger that I am, I simply used my finger and dabbed the cool shadow on my lids.  Fortune tried the same technique this time around, and we both followed it up with a little eyeliner.

The results?

I LOVED the product, and am eager to try out a few more shades to mix and match (I'm obsessed with jewel tones coupled with gold, and am hoping to do my own version of the dramatic eye lesson on their website).  I have normal skin, and the color stayed put without reapplication all day long.  I wouldn't say it lasted 24 hours, though; by the time I got home from work (application at 6 AM, home by 6:30 PM), the color was still strong; afterwards, I hopped in the shower and took a bath, and, when I got out, the color was still there, but more muddled.  I actually got a bit of shadow on a part of my eye that extended out a little more than I wanted, and I could not get it off at work (water + paper towels just didn't do it).  While slightly irksome, it was also kind of an awesome problem to encounter since it truly lasted on me.  I'm completely happy with how it turned out, and the pots are so small, it's easy to just throw one in your bag and put a smidgen more on if needed for a night out on the town.

Fortune had a better experience this time around, but is still not fully convinced.  She has deeper set eyes than I do, with heavier creases, and, while her skin is also normal, her lids can be slightly oily at times.  She did her makeup around 7:30 AM, went to work, out to dinner, and to my trunk show, and was home by 11:30 PM.  When I saw her around 7 PM, the shadow still looked great, with the perfect amount of glimmer.  She noticed when she got home, however,  that the color had moved and was now all in the creases of her eyes.  She plans on sticking to color coupled with her Magic Potion Primer from now on (which I also have used in the past, and it really does work).

The verdict?

For an eight hour plus work day, this shadow definitely goes the distance.  But if you're planning on happy hour, reapply, reapply, reapply!

No comments:

Post a Comment