Friday, April 5, 2013

What We're Buying - A "Practical" Coat


I've been searching for a really warm winter coat for the last few weeks; doing a flea every weekend that doesn't yet have heat coupled with the potential of working an outdoor market in the winter has made it somewhat of a necessity for me to find something especially cozy.  Since it's the end of the season, I was hoping to get a great deal on the perfect down dream.

But where to start?

 
 
I initially (and still in my heart of hearts) lusted after Pajar's Caroline Coat.  I mean, really, look at the faux fur hood!  But my exhaustive research seemed to indicate that a 650 fill coat just doesn't cut it on arctic days, at least not if you're going to be primarily stationary.

On to Canada Goose!  I've heard so many good things about their brand from my customers at the Real Designer Market, and was particularly intrigued by the Kensington Parka.  Everyone raves about how warm they are, but with a lower down fill at 625, along with a cringe-inducing price tag of $695 to boot, I just wasn't fully sold.


After many hours reading message boards and checking out cold weather sport websites, reviewing the relative merits of Spyder jackets versus Patagonia's offerings, I finally made my decision: the Luxe Insulator Coat by Land's End.
 

Instead of down, the parka is filled with a warming, synthetic insulation, and boasts an impressive -40° to -10° temperature rating.  I love that it's water resistent and has wind blocking features as well.  Additionally, I really like that the belt is removable; as a petite lady, it's sometimes hard to find things that fit exactly right on me, so I'll be able to define my waist where it actually lies for a change.  What really sold me , though, was a note written by a previous buyer - on an outdoor movie shoot in Canada, the reviewer claimed to be just as warm as all of her associates.  Who, of course, were outfitted in toppers from Canada Goose.

I know it's not as high-fashion as it's pricier counterparts, but it seems more suited to what I need it for - protection as opposed to pure style.  The faux fur hooded collar definitely sweetened the deal (no, not as luxe as Pajar's, but I want fur on everything).  And, finally, the price - heavily discounted at a crazy affordable $69.99.

What can I say?  Sold!



No comments:

Post a Comment