Friday, November 9, 2012

A Case for Mixing Basics



When I was a girl in private school we had few options in the morning: a skirt or pair of pants, each available only in black, grey or navy. A white or blue button-down shirt. White, brown, black, grey or navy stockings. Simple loafers or flats. With so little to choose from you would think all fashion contentions would be moot, but we ladies know better. Heaven forbid someone showed up mixing black and brown, or black and navy. There seemed to be an unspoken but heartily favored moratorium on such combinations. Maybe that's why I enjoy mixing them so much now? Maybe I am reclaiming the colors that confined me for so many years? Either way, I love studies in navy, black, brown and grey such as the one I'm pictured in above (taken earlier this week).

Navy Ruffled Cape, Ark & Co.; Black Long Leather Gloves, Target; Black Leather Boots, Audrey Brooke at DSW; Cognac Suede and Leather purse, Lockheart at Anthropologie.

No comments:

Post a Comment