Thursday, November 15, 2012

Books We're Reading - Micro


 
When I was a child, I loved Michael Crichton.  Gosh, he was my hero.  I read Travels over and over again, urging everyone I knew to get a copy.  Sphere was worn out, ripped in places, thumbed through countless times.  As I got older, my literary interests changed, and Mr. Crichton sadly got left behind.  But when I heard of his sudden death in 2008,  I felt such sorrow; the loss of a friend I never met but knew so well.
 
Visiting a bookshop for a birthday present the other day, I was surprised to see a new volume: Micro, co-authored by Richard Preston.  A wave of nostalgia washed over me, and I eagerly picked it up.
 
Finishing it today, I have mixed feelings.  The grand, scientific premise typical of past novels  also informs Micro.  A group of graduate students are lured to Hawaii with the promise of work in the exciting, new field of microtechnology.  Upon arrival, they inadvertently hear evidence condemning the company's megalomaniacal CEO - and become his prey.  Micro prey.

The cast of characters is a bit archetypal - there is the group's unexpected leader, the pair of lovers who find each other in extreme circumstances, and, of course, the betrayer...but Crichton was never one for fully fleshed out character studies to begin with.  What is most impressive about the book, as is true of past tales, is its ambitious concept and translation of scientific principles in an easily readable format.  The microworld is portrayed in such lush detail, and is teeming with life - microscopic bugs keep the earth in constant movement, and fragrant pheromones swirl everywhere.  The team faces unimaginable trials in their quest for survival, and we learn of the strength and adaptability of insects and animals we normally discount due to their size.
 
Having never read a selection by Preston before, I was surprised at how much of Crichton's voice was still present.  Although the story was predictable, and the characters were lacking in personality,  I felt caught up in the depiction of this magical new-old world.  And, when the last page had been turned, I appreciated the striving of these gentlemen to portray nature's indifference - even if the execution fell short of the mark.
 
In a sentence?  Yeah, it's a barbaric Honey, I Shrunk The Kids.  But, boy, do I still miss the vision of my first literary love.

No comments:

Post a Comment