Monday, November 5, 2012

New York, I love you


New York is a tough city to live in any day, and the recent devastation Superstorm Sandy has dealt to residents all over the five boroughs hasn't helped matters. The city's massive transit system is only creeping towards normalcy (normalcy which I must admit, even as an advocate of our transit system, is spotty at best), and my commute this morning was taxing. We made every stop on our local train, but commuters worn ragged by waiting were only able to board my car at perhaps 5 out of the 17 stops we made. New Yorkers showed surprising patience, and in spite of the inevitable aggravation and slow pace of the commute I made it off the subway, squeezing past my fellow commuters, with only a little lingering frustration.


That small anxiety was swept away as I walked to work. While passing one of the many small, metallic coffee and danish trucks I watched as a man in suit and brightly shined shoes turned to a homeless man sitting on a nearby bench. "Can I get you a coffee? Bagel?" he asked. I smiled and continued down the block to my office. Sometimes it's just the little things, the small kindnesses that make all the difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment