Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Countless Gold of a Merry Heart



 
 
  

 
 

       
 

(the first piece of jewelry I've made - earring charms!)

My spirit animal is the magpie.  I've forever been attracted to all things sparkly - big, gaudy rings.  Fabulous, dangling earrings.  Chunky, ornate necklaces.  Whenever I have some spare cash, I always gravitate towards finding the newest and latest jewelry trends (and I probably even own enough to run my own accessories store at this point - yes, Forever 21, you are, once again, to blame).

I'm so, so blessed lately to have fallen into my dream job - working with a brilliant New York City based jewelry designer.  B 5 line nyc hand makes each and every piece sold.  Run by the crazy-inventive Tammy Gia, the line has it all - hefty necklaces with rock-star lock closures.  Geometric stack rings in every shape under the sun.  Bangles and cuffs and bow rings galore!  And, my dream piece, an enormous ruthenium angel ring I eyeball absolutely every time I'm in the studio.

What I love about the designs are their versatility - I've always been cautious of mixing metals, but any and all fashion rules fly right out the window with these beauties.  Want to dip your toes in the water?  Grab some of the hammered stackables - plated in silver, gunmetal, gold + rose gold, I love mixing the rose and gunmetal ones together for a sweetly tough look.  Bold styles are more your thing?  Throw on the tribal necklace - three gold bars on a hard as nails black chain.  It's never been easier to match the metal on your bag to the hardware on your coat to all of your jewelry - just pile it all on before you run out the door, and you have such an effortlessly chic, downtown look.

It's been beyond intriguing, too, to learn how to make these pieces - working with pliers, banging on metal, letting your creativity flow.  And, at the end of the day, making people feel great about themselves; beautifully adorned and oh so happy.

I think it's safe to say I've found my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment