Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Beauty - Laura Geller Baked Marble Eyeshadows




When it comes to cosmetics, I'm still somewhat of a neophyte.  Watching Fortune work her makeup magic over the years has helped, it's true (the girl is a whiz with eyeliner).  But I can't help but feel a tiny twinge of helplessness when I'm all alone in front of the mirror.  A cat's eye?  Yeah, I can't do that. 

Laura Geller's baked marble eyeshadows are my lifesavers, particularly in the wee hours of the AM when there just isn't enough time to play with products.  The shadows start out in liquid form; Geller describes the process as 'a swirl of...pigments...poured onto terracotta pans and baked for 24 hours'.  The end result is a gorgeous mix of complementary colors already blended for instant application.  Simply paint on with a brush or finger and in seconds you have a layered, rich look.  I also suggest prepping your lids beforehand with a primer (Geller makes her own Spackle; it's worked well for me in the past, as has Urban Decay's Primer Potion).  One of my favorite shades is Forest Mist, a mix of seafoam green, peach and a shimmery white.  And, if I have a few more seconds while I'm on the go, I take it up a notch by dabbing a tiny bit of bronze shadow on the inner corner of both eyes (my favorite is Lorac's Serenity; it literally goes with everything).

While I'm all for beauty-on-the-cheap, the drugstore versions out there promising similar results haven't worked nearly as well for me, and aren't as deeply pigmented.  A hard lesson for miserly me to note, but, sometimes, it just pays to splurge a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment