Monday, February 18, 2013

Books We're Reading - The Great Gatsby



I have to come clean - I picked up The Great Gatsby recently because of Baz Luhrmann's sure-to-be-epic upcoming film.  Although I've read it in the past, along with almost anyone in grade school in New York City, I didn't really remember the plot so much as my general appreciation for Fitzgerald's distinctive turns of phrase.

The well-known tale didn't disappoint; but what has stayed with me the most, as in prior readings, are Fitzgerald's beautiful, uncomplicated observations of human nature.

Describing a Manhattan night spent with a group of new acquaintances and a shared bottle of whiskey, he writes:

"...high over the city our line of yellow windows must have contributed their share of human secrecy to the casual watcher in the darkening streets, and I was him too, looking up and wondering.  I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life."

Just as revealing a description now as ever before, his universal ideas and sweeping prose continue to resonate with me.

A true classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment