Monday, July 22, 2013

What We're Buying - Bib Necklaces


One of the most exciting things about my friendship with Fortune is seeing how we represent our admiration for the same fashion trends in completely different ways.  I'm able to learn so much from her, and vice versa, in this way.  Since we're both roughly the same height, weight and shoe size, it's very instructive to see a style you may not have picked out for yourself mirrored on your almost-duplicate.  I've come to love her more sophisticated tendencies as a result, like the idea of splurging on one piece instead of buying 5 from a discount store, and she, in turn, has started to covet a few rougher pieces, like jewelry with spikes, since I constantly wear them around her.

A recent example?  We both agree - we love, love, love bib necklaces.

Our individual interpretations?  Totally unique.

For my birthday, Fortune and I went on a shopping expedition up and down Broadway in the mall-esque SoHo area of New York City.  All the major stores are present, making it an essential stop when you want to hit a lot of places quickly.

Our first stop was at the BaubleBar pop-up boutique located on Greene Street until August 13th.  For years and years in search of the perfect bib necklace, little did I know I would find it, and one of my only purchases of the day, right off the bat.

 
I couldn't stop staring at the Gold Multi-Chain Bib Necklace the minute I saw it, even though I was supposed to be hunting for the Andromeda Tassel Pendant.  Featuring rows and rows of thick, beautiful chains, I lusted after it.  The price was a little more than I would normally spend...but Fortune reminded me of my ceaseless quest...and, hey, it was my birthday.
 

Fortune had better luck later on in the day at Topshop.  While we both were somewhat baffled by the prices there, remembering how affordable the items used to be on past trips taken together to Europe, we managed to find a 50% off section...with another 30% off on top of that.  Fortune, then, couldn't say no to the Cord and Tube Collar Necklace.  Featuring a length of rope reminiscent of Noir's amazing designs, complemented by mixed metal tubes and rings, it was the perfect mix of boho + edgy to go with her day-to-day wardrobe.
 
So from Mr. T to Miss Richie, we both embraced this look...and, in the process, made it completely our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment