Tuesday, May 7, 2013

À La Mode - Studded Jackets


 

I'll admit it - this post is (yet another) love letter to Forever 21.

But the recent receipt of a gift card had me thinking - what do I crave for my closet?

Lately, I've been feeling like my style is reverting back to my high school + college days; skinny jeans instead of dresses.  Heavy eye makeup instead of a more feminine visage.  Piles of bracelets and tons of stackable rings on each finger as opposed to one key statement piece.

As a result, my wardrobe is feeling a little too lady-like.  Sure, I still like getting all dolled up, and I'm convinced by my past capriciousness that in a few months I'll want to try an even newer look on for size.  But, for now, all my puffed sleeved jackets just aren't feeling very 'me'.

So, of course, I scoured my old standby for some tougher toppers.  And, as usual, they didn't disappoint.

The hooded spiked camo jacket really caught me off guard.  Camo?  I have (literally) never worn camo.  In. My. Life.  I always kind of loathed it, too (like bandanna print on dresses and shirts; something has always just felt so inherently wrong about it all to me).  But the deep coloring, perfect cinched waist, and fun studs really made me pause.  Plus, it has a hood.  Very important to me lately.

I also lusted after the oversized studded jacket.  The downtown cut is similar to what I normally wear, but spruced up with on-trend military coloring and well-placed studs.

The pyramid spiked moto jacket is another winner.  Available in mint, rose + white, I thought long and hard about the mint.  I was a little worried about the look of the pleather, though, since I wasn't at the store to make a judgment call.  The color and cut are divine, and I could really see Fortune rocking it moreso than I over one of her gorgeous summer dresses.

My final option?  The studded utility jacket.  With a hood, of course.  I really liked the contrast of  grey sweatshirt-material sleeves cutting into its of the moment olive coloring.  I know Fortune and I differ on this; I really respond to the utilitarian aesthetic, whereas she thinks it's too ubiquitous and gravitates more towards color.  Although it's definitely current, if you're concerned about passing fashion moments, I don't think army-chic inevitably is going anywhere.

(And, of course, I always exhort wearing what you want regardless of what is au courant.  I mean, I still have a short-sleeved, black, bubble-hemmed shirt, and I just wore it this week with dark blue skinny jeans, grey boots, a Judy Kaye leather + pearl necklace and more rings than I could even count).

After-school special fashion message aside, after much consideration, I went with the oversized studded jacket and the studded utility jacket.  I'm still kind of lusting after the studded camo coat, but I couldn't say no to the fleece lined hood and sleeves on the green + grey number.

But camo...maybe, just maybe, camo...I hear you calling to me. 

This could be the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment