Thursday, May 9, 2013

Put to the Test - Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipstick



I love and hate the winter in equal measure.  Cozy sweaters, shared pints of beer, and Christmas?  Yes, please.  Wind + cold chapped lips?  Nope, not so much.

I enjoy wearing lipstick, but I just can't use it with any regularity once the temperature drops.  I usually go for a really bold, red lip which, of course, looks absolutely terrible when your skin condition isn't up to snuff.  Usually I'm forced to turn to tinted lip balm/chap stick to tide me over until the weather warms back up.

I was interested to hear of CoverGirl LipPerfection Lipcolor as a result.  The premise?  Well, of course, it's purported to stay on for hours (what lipsticks don't claim that nowadays?).  But it's also supposed to give you 'soft, smooth, beautiful lips in just 7 days' with their special 'silk moisturizing' formula.

I went for Flame, a bright red/pink, and Heavenly, a more muted pink/nude, and kept my fingers crossed.

The results?

I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but I gave up on Flame after three days.  Since the hue was so garish (in the best possible way) I noticed every little imperfection; my lips still flaked (although perhaps not as much) and the color faded after a few hours.  What I find worse is that it didn't fade uniformly, leaving an exposed middle lip but remaining bright towards the edges.

Heavenly, though, fared better.  Since the color is more natural, it blended better with my own lip color, and didn't leave shocking deposits after a little wear and tear.  I did notice that my lips felt less dry, and there was less flaking when I stuck to the regime.  In fact, I tried another product a day or so afterwards (Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede in Finale) and, while I loved the color, my lips started to crack after a few hours.

The verdict?

The colors are beautiful, but I'd recommend a lighter tone close to the shade of your own lips for maximum results.

No comments:

Post a Comment