Friday, May 24, 2013

Brooklyn Museum: Monumental Works by El Anatsui


Last week I finally got to the Brooklyn Museum to see the El Anatsui exhibit that I've been longing to catch a glimpse of ever since I spied their advertisements hanging in the subway and in my beloved New York Magazine. The works are collages (murals even, maybe. Or nouveau tapestries?) and sculptures comprised of mundane objects that have been painstakingly assembled to form beautiful tableaus of sweeping color. 

These objects have built-in texture and depth; they sparkle, even under sedate museum lighting. Bottle caps, paper and aluminum are strung together to form these beautiful pieces, and I couldn't help thinking how much I would love to have one on my own wall. The exhibit is on view through August 4th, and I can't recommend seeing it in person enough.








No comments:

Post a Comment